The numbers are staggering. Every day, nearly 1,000 Arizona kids end up in emergency rooms with injuries resulting from bikes, scooters, rollerblades, and skateboards. Many of these injuries are preventable and nearly all of them would be less serious, if kids wore the proper safety gear. The tips below are from Cardon Children’s, a Banner Hospital.
Get the right gear:
- Wearing a helmet can reduce head injuries up to 85 percent.
- Make sure the helmet fits properly and that your child wears it correctly every time they are on their bike. That means even when they are riding in the driveway or just down the block.
- Set a good example. Adults need to also wear helmets.
- Make sure the bicycle fits your child so it is easily controlled.
- Never let your child ride at night or with head phones.
- Teach your children to “Stop and Look Left-Right-Left” before crossing the street, leaving your driveway or coming onto the street from an alley. People in cars don’t always see cyclists.
Right side of the street, single file:
- Always ride on the right side of the street in the same direction as the traffic. Never ride against traffic.
- If you’re cycling with friends, ride single file.
- Kids 10 and younger should ride on the sidewalks whenever possible.
- Let your child know the safe places they can ride: parks, bike trails and sidewalks.
For more information on Injury Prevention at Cardon Children’s
Our goal with Injury Prevention is to share information on preventable injuries and deaths for children. That is why the Injury Prevention program offers multiple safety classes for parents and caregivers. Go to BannerHealth.com, keyword: Injury Prevention to see a complete list of classes or call 602.230.CARE (2273) for more information on class times and locations near you.
This Sunday, Banner Children’s will be on hand to provide helmet fittings and a bike rodeo where adults and kids will learn the rules of road. Soul Cruiser, the Tempe shop that built Eastmark’s famous Orange Cruiser, will perform free bike maintenance checks and helping to get your wheels ready to go.
Let’s Ride Eastmark – Bike Event
|When||Sunday, November 15, 2015; 2–5p.m.|
|Where||The Eastmark Great Park; Eastmark Visitor and Community Center, 10100 E Ray Rd, Mesa, AZ 85212|
|Who||Open to the public, free event for kids and all cyclists
|What||Free family event featuring bicycle safety training for kids, helmet fittings, bike maintenance tips with Soul Cruiser and inflatables for play. Guests should bring their skateboards, bikes, and scooters to participate!|
|Food||Popular local food trucks will have a variety of foods for sale: Focoso Pizza, Frank Food Truck, Press Italian Street Food and Mr Softee Ice Cream|
|Schedule||2-5 p.m. – Bike Safety Event for families with Banner Children’s – helmet fittings, bike maintenance tips with Soul Cruiser, music and inflatables for play
2:30-4 p.m. – Bike Safety Rodeo – Bring your bike to participate
4-5 p.m. – BMX Impact